The Piscataway Public Library, with support from the Friends of the Piscataway Public Library, is pleased to once again be offering our STEAM based Tinker Camp program in 2019 for children entering Kindergarten through 5th grade as part of our “summer of make”.
Each Tinker Camp workshop is 1.5 hours in length offering experiments, activities, and making sessions covering topics such as physics, engineering, circuitry, chemistry and more.
Children may only register for TWO programs during Tinker Camp so that as many children as possible have the opportunity to take part. To register for Tinker Camp sessions, please use the linked forms provided below.
Please note : All our grade K-2 programs are in the morning sessions (11a-12:30p) and our grade 3-5 programs are in the afternoon session (2-4p).
For grade K-2 programs, these are for children ENTERING grades K-2 in September.
For grade 3-5 programs, these are for children ENTERING grade 3-5 in September.
Registration for Tinker Camp will open on June 3, 2019.
Week 1 (Wednesday, June 26) – Kennedy Library
- Wobblebot / Cardboard Circuits| (gr K-2) |11a-12:30p
- Design and build a “wobbling” motor powered robot, as well as beginner basic circuits with cardboard and electronics.
- Artbot / Scrappy Circuits | (gr 3-5) | 2-3:30p
- Create an artistic self-powered robot with marker legs, as well as small simple circuit tiles.
Week 2 (Wednesday, July 3) – Westergard Library
- DIY Ice Cream / Self -Inflating Balloon | (gr K-2) | 11a-12:30p*
- Make your own homemade ice cream with regular household ingredients, then try out and experiment with a balloon that can inflate itself.
*Allergen alert: The above activity includes food samples that contain dairy
- Cardboard Pinball Machine | (gr 3-5) | 2-3:30p
- Create your own working pinball machine with flippers and obstacles out of cardboard and other craft items.
Week 3 (Wednesday, July 10) – Kennedy Library
- Marshmallow Launcher | (gr K-2) | 11a-12:30p
- Using PVC, assemble a simple marshmallow launcher and see how far you can blast your marshmallow.
- Mini Battery Car | (gr 3-5) | 2-3:30p
- Build your own battery powered mini motorized vehicle.
Week 4 (Wednesday, July 17) – Westergard Library
- Wooly Willy / Electromagnet | (gr K-2) | 11a-12:30p
- Explore magnetism! Create a magnet that attracts metals with a little help from electricity. Use magnets and iron to make your own personal Wooly Willy art project.
- DiY Batteries | (gr 3-5) | 2-3:30p
- Explore and experiment with various materials like potatoes and lemons to turn food into electrical power.
Week 5 (Wednesday, July 24) – Kennedy Library
- Density Towers / Fireworks in a Jar | (gr K-2) / 11a-12:30p
- Experiment with liquid and density in a variety of fun ways
- Elephant Toothepaste / Fizzee Lemonade | (gr 3-5) | 2-3:30p
- Create a giant foam (safe) chemical reaction that is truly impressive! Using a chemical reaction, create a unique twist on a classic warm weather drink!