Adult Services Librarian, Kennedy Branch, Piscataway Public Library
The Adult Services Librarian is responsible for outreach and programming for adults, reference service to all ages, collection development, and participation on library committees and team projects. This position is under the supervision of the Head of Adult Services.
About Piscataway Public Library:
Piscataway Township has a richly diverse population of over 58,000 and is located in Middlesex County, NJ. Library services, materials, programs and outreach provide support to a wide range of community members, including New Americans establishing their homes, families and employment in and around Piscataway Township, as well as generations with deep ties to and pride in the history of the Township. Piscataway is home to the Busch and Livingston campuses of Rutgers University-New Brunswick, and several large corporations including Johnson & Johnson, Colgate-Palmolive and IEEE.
Piscataway Public Library is a statewide leader in public library service and has a tradition of providing pioneering programs and services. Piscataway Public Library nurtures professional development, leadership and innovation.
- Effectively offering assistance in the informational needs of all ages, including computer support and readers advisory
- Providing exceptional customer service at information desks
- Planning, coordinating, and executing a variety of programs that meet the interests and needs of adults
- Maintaining and evaluating programming statistics
- Participating in the selection and maintenance of adult print and nonprint collections, with a focus on popular fiction and special attention to community needs
- Representing the library at community events
- Contributing to developing the library’s local history resources and celebrating the cultural diversity of the Township
- Actively participating in community conversations to better understand the interests and needs of the community, and assisting Library administration with improving programs and services
- Collaborating with other library departments to develop and administer programs and services
- Providing support to all library staff in an effort to successfully provide service in a safe and welcoming environment
- Continuing education to update professional skills via workshops and online webinars
- Active participation in professional library associations
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program
- NJ Professional Librarian’s Certificate
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas: flexibility, initiative, teamwork, customer service, providing reference and technology assistance, and adult programming
- Ability to communicate clearly, courteously, and effectively with library patrons and staff
The schedule for this position is 35 hours per week, including a regular evening, and weekend coverage on a rotating basis.
This is a full-time salaried exempt position, with a minimum starting salary of $60,217. Piscataway Public Library offers generous paid leave, health and dental insurance, PERS, and a commitment to staff training and development.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the “New Jersey First Act.”
Email your cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional references to email@example.com and include Adult Services Librarian in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through March 1, 2019. Only applicants invited for interviews will be contacted.