JUNIOR LIBRARY ASSISTANT, PART-TIME
Under general direction of Supervising Library Assistant and Head of the User Services Department, performs routine circulation functions and provides excellent customer service. This position will be primarily stationed at the Kennedy Branch of Piscataway Library.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Charging/renewing/discharging materials in an automated system
- Entering and updating library cards in an automated system
- Handling issues with overdues and other account information
- Handling money through accepting fines and fees
- Handling incoming reserves and pulling expired holds
- Answering the phone and responding to directional questions
- Understanding and following established library policy and procedures
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- High School Diploma or possession of an approved High School Equivalency Certificate
- Some knowledge of clerical methods and practices, and the use of office equipment
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions
- Ability to communicate courteously and clearly with customers and staff
- Ability to learn routine operations of computer equipment
- Knowledge of Windows environment, basic typing and mouse operation, use of email and standard office computer programs
- The ability to stand, sit, walk, and stoop in provision of library service
- The ability to handle, reach for and carry materials up to 20 lbs.
- Dexterity to operate keyboards and other office equipment
- Visual acuity to read print and computer screens
- Vocal ability to communicate clearly and courteously with customers, co-workers and groups outside the library
- The ability to write clearly and effectively
- Hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels
- The ability to travel between libraries
Typically 8-15 hours per week, including two evenings and weekend hours. This position has a set weekday schedule (Monday & Wednesday 5:00-9:00pm, rotating Saturdays 10:00-5:00 & Sundays 1:00-5:00). The ability to be flexible as needed is a plus.
$18.28 per hour
All Piscataway Township employees over 18 are subject to the successful completion of a 3-month performance evaluation period. Offers of employment will be conditional pending the completion of a criminal background check and drug screening as part of our pre-employment procedures. Piscataway Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: Email your application or resume to Kathy Medvecky, Supervising Library Assistant, at email@example.com.