Under supervision of the Head of User Services, performs routine, repetitive tasks associated primarily with the sorting and shelving of books, media and other library materials.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Shelving library materials and arranging in proper order
- Maintaining general orderliness of shelves and other public areas
- Emptying internal and external book drops
- Collection merchandising for displays
- Reviewing missing, in-transit and repairs lists as requested
Requirements of the Position
- Ability to sort alphabetically and numerically
- Ability to understand, remember and carry out oral and written directions
- Ability to communicate courteously and clearly with customers and staff
- Ability to stoop, crouch, reach, walk, stand for extended lengths of time in provision of library services
- Ability and dexterity to handle, reach for, carry, and transport materials up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to read print material and computer screens
- Vocal ability to communicate clearly and courteously with customers, co-workers and groups outside the library
- The ability to write clearly and effectively
- Hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels
Schedule: Approximately 7-12 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours as needed. Position will report primarily to Kennedy Library.
Salary: $9.30 per hour
To Apply: Applicants are encouraged to come in person to a branch of Piscataway Library to fill out and submit a print job application.
All Piscataway Township employees over 18 are required to have a criminal background check and drug screening, and hiring is contingent on a clean record. All employees under 18 require working papers prior to employment. Piscataway Library and Piscataway Township are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Children’s Librarian / Library Associate
The Children’s Librarian/Library Associate is responsible for outreach and programming for children, with an emphasis on infants through kindergartners. This position is under the supervision of the Head of Children’s Services and responsibilities also include staffing public service desks, collection development, and participation on Library committees and team projects.
- Plans and presents a robust schedule of children’s programs both in-house and at community schools with an emphasis on early literacy
- Participates with the Head of Children’s Services in the formulation, development and completion of departmental and library-wide objectives
- Maintains a positive relationship with the library’s customers and staff
- Assists with special projects and other tasks as needed
- Participates on committees within the library
- Maintains attractive children’s spaces, including updating books displays
- Provides exceptional customer service at information desks
- Represents the Library at community events
- Follows guidelines for maintaining order in the library
- Prioritizes professional development through attendance at informational and instructional meetings and workshops
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required. Major in education or related field preferred. Candidates with a Master’s in Library Science will be considered at the Junior Librarian title.
- Successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for working with young people from birth through elementary school and familiarity with children’s literature.
- Experience in early childhood education or working with children in an educational or recreational setting is strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly, courteously, and effectively with library patrons and staff.
- Ability to travel between library buildings, as well as to local schools and other outreach opportunities.
Approximately 17 hours per week: Tuesday 9:30AM-2:30PM; Wednesday 9:30AM-5PM; Thursday 9:30AM-2:30PM. Two Saturdays per month. Opportunity for additional hours on a substitute basis.
$27.86 per hour for bachelor’s degree in early childhood education and/or three years experience in early education, or $33.09 per hour for a librarian with MLS and New Jersey professional librarian certificate.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must comply with the “New Jersey First Act.”
To Apply :
Email your cover letter, resume, and names of three professional references to email@example.com and include Children’s Librarian/Library Associate, Part-Time in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through May 6, 2019. Only applicants invited for interviews will be contacted.