Bring Your Ideas to MiY
Make It Yourself (MiY) gives residents of all ages access to tools, techniques and hands-on learning experiences that will spark their imaginations and enrich their lives. A particular focus will be given to young people, with the goal of inspiring/nurturing their interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). STEM education is increasingly important as students prepare for careers in our 21st century, technology-dependent, global economy. Looking at global technology trends, these learning and "making" experiences are going to be vital for current and future generations.
MiY provides a variety of opportunities for the public to learn new skills, cultivate and prototype new ideas, as well as collaborate with others to create things :
- Instructor led, project-based activities for children, teens and adults
- Appointment-based project instruction for adults and teens
- Large-scale family-friendly events such as New Jersey Makers Day, Tiny Art Show, How-to Festival, and Family Craft Days
Piscataway Library has always been a destination for consuming content. Now the library is a place you can go to create, too!
Currently, access for use of our makerspace resources is available by appointment only.
Please contact our MiY makerspace staff at email@example.com to schedule an appointment to use our makerspace resources.
Appointments are scheduled based on staff availability and are only available at Kennedy Library. When e-mailing, please provide 4-5 days and times that would be convenient for you and we will match you with a staff member who can assist you with your project. Same-day appointments are not available.
As we receive a high volume of requests for our custom services, please allow 48 business hours for a reply to your email inquiry.
Please note that Makerspace appointments are for adults only, or for teens 12+ with an accompanying adult. The Makerspace frequently offers family programming, these programs can be located on our events calendar under the STEAM/Maker subcategory
For most appointments, we will need you to provide your own blanks and supplies. We are happy to provides a list of suggested items and vendors.
Please note that our Glowforge laser printer has additional restrictions on what items can be used with it, please e-mail for more information regarding this machine.
Most appointments are free when you provide your own supplies. There are a few situations where you must use our supplies, at a nominal cost:
- Sublimation Mugs: $5 per mug
- Buttons: 25 cents each
- Keychains: $1 each
- Magnets: $1 each
- 3D Prints: 10 cents per gram of filament used (quote will be provided prior to printing)
The following are available in our MiY Makerspace for use by appointment:
- Prusa Mk2 3D Printer
- Snapmaker 2.0
- Glowforge Laser Printer
- Silhouette Cameo 4
- Cricut Maker 3
- Cricut Joy
- Sawgrass SG1000 Sublimation Printer
- Singer Sewing Machines (including ironing boards and sewing supplies)
- Heat Presses
- Spellbinders Platinum Die Cutter and Embosser
- Sizzix Big Kick Die Cutter and Embosser
- American Button Machines
- Button Maker
- Magnet Maker
- Keychain Maker
- Cinch Book Binding Machine (square holes and round holes)
- Silhouette Mint Stamp Making Machine
Electronics and Robotics