- About Us
- Research Tools
- Events Calendar
- Meeting Rooms
- Support the Library
- Contact Us
Position Available – May 13, 2013
Junior Library Assistant – Part Time
Junior Library Assistant – Part Time
Under the supervision of the Head of Circulation, Westergard Library, performs a variety of routine library procedures, including
● Engaging users in a welcoming and helpful manner
● Charging, renewing, discharging and appropriately routing library materials
● Registering new users and introducing them to the library
● Operating the cash register in receipt of money
● Answering phone and directional questions
● Assisting users in operation of computers and photocopiers
● Assisting staff in closing and opening the library
● Graduation from High School or possession of an approved High School Equivalency Certificate
● Some knowledge of clerical methods and practices
● Ability to understand, remember and carry out oral and written directions
● Ability to learn routine operations of computer equipment and office machines
● Requires the ability to communicate courteously and accurately with customers and coworkers
● Basic knowledge of Windows environment and standard office computer programs
● Requires the ability to stand or sit for extended lengths of time
● Requires the ability to stoop, crouch, reach, and walk in provision of library service
● Dexterity needed to handle books, keyboard, and operate office machines
● Requires the ability to read print and computer screens
● Requires the ability to carry light loads and/or push a book cart
Hours: 10.5 hours per week average, including evenings and weekends
Salary: $15.92 per hour
Apply: with resume to Merry Jones via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications due by May 17th.
Piscataway Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PRINCIPAL LIBRARY ASSISTANT
Full charge bookkeeper for the library system, working in conjunction with the Township Finance Department. All activities are performed in conformance with the State of New Jersey’s local public finance law. Supervised and evaluated by the Library Director. This is a confidential position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Enters all purchase orders/requisitions into the Township finance system software and provides supporting documentation for library administration approval.
2. Maintains financial ledger with record of all commitments/purchase orders by sub-account and tracks total library expenditures for the municipal budget, capital budget and grant accounts.
3. Compares invoices with orders and receiving documents to identify any discrepancies. Processes approved POs for payment by the Township.
4. Contacts vendors to resolve issues of billing and payment. Creates new vendor profiles in financial system when needed.
5. Coordinates with various library departments regarding their commitment of funds and account balances.
6. Coordinates with the Township Finance Department regarding reconciliation of online entries, online system account balances, and manual ledger balances.
7. Prepares monthly financial statement for municipal operating expenses and salary/wage account for the Library Board of Trustees including support documentation.
8. Assists in the preparation of the municipal budget request.
9. Maintains financial files, including set-up and weeding of files each fiscal year in accordance with the State of New Jersey Record Retention Guidelines.
10. Orders and inventories general library supplies. Places orders for other supplies, equipment, furniture, etc. Coordinates with Township Purchasing Department as needed.
11. Assists library departments in finding appropriate vendors, obtaining quotes, and ensuring that staff adhere to the New Jersey Local Public Finance law.
12. Prepares and develops requested financial reports as needed.
13. Primary responsibilities are reflected in this job description; however, all clerical staff will work as required to maintain library operations.
• Graduation from high school or possession of an approved High School Equivalent Certificate and two years bookkeeping experience or a BA or BS degree with relevant course work
• Knowledge of clerical methods and practices, use of computers and other equipment
• Ability to comprehend established office routines, as well as complex rules and regulations, and to maintain suitable records and files
• Strong organizational ability
• Ability to write clearly and effectively
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other library departments and township staff members
• The ability to sit for extended periods of time, to walk and carry light loads
• Dexterity to operate keyboard, implement computer accounting programs, and to operate office machines
• Visual acuity to read print and computer screens, to operate machines, and to determine the accuracy of work
• Vocal ability to communicate clearly and courteously with coworkers, township employees and vendors, etc. both in person and on the telephone
• The ability to travel between library and township buildings
• Hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels
• Beginning to Intermediate skill level with Windows
• Proficiency in popular accounting, word-processing, database, and spreadsheet programs
• Ability to use e-mail and perform basic Internet searching
Hours: 35/Week, some Sunday Hours once a month
Compensation: $45,030, plus benefits and paid vacation
Email cover letter and resume to Library Director, email@example.com NO PHONE CALLS
Applications due by May 22nd
Piscataway Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer